We all download various files from the internet every day, and the process is usually painless, for the most part. There is, however, a way to make the process of downloading files a lot simpler and much more efficient: by using Internet Download Manager (IDM) for free.
IDM can download large files faster by increasing the number of connections to the server and consuming all the bandwidth, which expands the proportion of the internet bandwidth that goes to the download.
So, if you’re juggling numerous or large downloads and have trouble with them timing out or failing, the Internet Download Manager will alleviate your downloading problems.
What is Internet Download Manager?
Internet Download Manager (IDM) is a computer program that handles and manages download schedules efficently. It was developed by Tonec FZE and was first released twenty years ago, on the 2nd of June 2001. The program is commonly known as IDM.
Over the years, newer versions have improved the software experience and introduced unique features, which has brought about an increase in the speed and performance of the tool.
This download manager is unique in its ability to resume downloads interrupted by a power outage or lost data connection. It fixes broken download links, saving the end-user the stress of restarting their download.
It is available in fifteen languages; it supports numerous proxy servers like firewall, FTP, and HTTP protocols; and it processes MPEG and MP3 files. It effectively manages downloads in various browsers like Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, and other major browsers.
Is Internet Download Manager easy to use?
Yes, it is. Internet Download Manager has been developed in such a way that it is effortless to navigate. The User Interface is simplified so that there is easy access to all the features of the download manager.
A list of downloaded files appears in the main window. Additional information regarding downloaded files is included in this list, such as file size, download status, anticipated completion time, current download speed, and download description. By clicking on a column header, you can sort the list by the title of that column.
While downloading, a window pops up showing the size of the file you’re downloading, the transfer rate, and the possible time left to finish the download. A progress bar shows the download’s progress and a Pause and Cancel button right underneath.
At the bottom, there is a small window showing information and actions taken by the software to keep your download on track.
Does Internet Download Manager need to be downloaded?
Yes, you must download and install IDM to make it available for use. It is a third-party software that doesn’t come pre-installed on PCs.
The primary function of an internet browser is to provide users with high-quality information on the internet. Therefore, downloading large files is never a top priority use case. There is no reason to integrate a resource-intensive, bandwidth-hogging download manager in a browser, severely degrading user experience.
On the other hand, the Internet Download Manager is optimized to download bulky files without a hitch.
How to Download and Install Internet Download Manager?
Getting IDM running on your PC is a straightforward process. It takes a few minutes to install, and a step-by-step is made available below.
- Go to the official website to get the software. The website is https://www.internetdownloadmanager.com/.
- Click on the Download Internet Download Manager text. You would be offered a 30-days free trial for the app.
- After the download is complete, you will notice that the installer’s name is in alphanumeric form. The number depicts the latest version. The current version of the Internet Download Manager is version 6.39, but it will change if a new version is released in the future.
- Double click to launch the installer and select your preferred language.
- Go through the license agreement and click on the box showing you have agreed to the policy.
- Click on Next.
- Choose the location on your PC to which the program will be installed. When done, click Next.
- This should start the installation process. You can monitor the download progress from the green bar.
- When the installation is finished, restart your PC. Doing so enables all the changes made in the PC to become active.
- After the reboot, you will be able to run your Internet Download Manager smoothly.
Features of Internet Download Manager
- IDM for PC is known to have features that make it stand out amongst other download managers. Some of these features are:
- Supports all popular browsers: Internet Download Manager has been developed to be compatible with all major browser versions and may be integrated into various third-party internet apps.
- One-click download: When you click a download link in a browser, IDM takes over and speeds up the download. HTTP, FTP, and HTTPS protocols are all supported by IDM.
- Fast speed of download: Because of its sophisticated dynamic file segmentation technology, Internet Download Manager may speed up downloads by up to 5 times, and it can download more than one file at a time.
- Downloads can be resumed: Internet Download Manager can fix broken download links, picking up incomplete downloads where they stopped and resuming their progress from there without resorting to restarting the process.
- A simple installation wizard is provided: To ensure a trouble-free installation of Internet Download Manager, a quick and easy installation application creates the necessary settings for a hitch-free installation process.
- Antivirus check: This feature protects the PC. It makes sure that viruses and trojans are not picked up or downloaded. If a file is corrupted, the user will be alerted. You must stop downloading so that your PC is not harmed.
- Built-in Scheduler: With this, you can set a time you want the IDM to connect to complete downloads or set the time you want to disconnect or shut down the PC. It can be a disciplinary measure to watch the amount of time spent on downloads.
- Drag and drop feature: this makes downloading easy. All you need to do is drag and drop links to IDM, and downloading starts. You can also drag out complete files from IDM if you want to.
- Multi-Language support: The Internet Download Manager is available in fifteen languages. Thus, providing people all over the world with access to all its features without the language barrier.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Due to the high number of pirated IDM apps in the market, people started asking questions regarding IDM. I’ll answer a few.
What is the latest version of IDM?
IDM’s latest version is version 6.39, and it has all the latest features offered by the Internet Download Manager. The app is always updated, though, so a newer version may become available soon.
Is IDM safe for PC?
Yes, it is. IDM is one of the most popular download managers out there. It is perfectly safe. Make sure to download from their website to avoid pirated copies.
How can I Use IDM in Google Chrome?
Open Program Files (x86) and find the Internet Download Manager folder. Look for a file named IDMGCExt.crx in the folder. Drag and drop it in the Google Chrome extensions tab. The IDM extension is installed in the chrome browser.
Do I need IDM?
Yes, you do. The need to download bulky files arises from time to time, and when it does, the last thing you need is to fall victim to slow internet speeds or any interruption to your connection. IDM protects you against all foreseeable problems and ensures that your file downloads go smoothly.
How can I update my PC with IDM?
You can update your PC by opening Widows Updates from your computer. Make sure you have an update available.
In the list of updates available, find an update with numbers in a bracket like this (KB300085).
Open any browser and go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download, and in the search bar, enter the KB****** you want to download and hit enter. The update will appear.
Click on it, go over to the download page, select download, and IDM will capture your download.
IDM for PC has made the process of downloading bulky files less stressful. People now queue up downloads and tend to other activities without worrying about losing their downloads. Using IDM is a satisfying and unique experience.